by guest blogger Penny Blankenship
As some of you may have heard, for quite some time there has been a warning about the sugar additive Xylitol being poisonous to dogs. This is a very true warning and numerous, heartbreaking stories of dogs getting into sugar free gums or other sweets that contain Xylitol and dying.
This weekend I had the opportunity to go to Dairy Queen and partake of a very tasty Dilly Bar. I was somewhat shocked to read that eating too many Dilly Bars could have a laxative effect and decided to do a little research as to why this warning was on a Dilly Bar.
One of the ingredients of a Dilly Bar is “sugar alcohol”. Digging further, I discovered that “sugar alcohol” is a code word for a list of various artificial sweeteners INCLUDING Xylitol!
I know a LOT of dog owners who go to various places and get ice cream for their dogs. Most of them know of the dangers of chocolate (theobromine poisoning) but think nothing of getting their pooch pal a vanilla cone to chow down on... but are they now risking Xylitol poisoning by not know the EXACT ingredients of their ice cream cone?
The U.S. is constantly shifting toward more “healthy” lifestyles and battling obesity, but at what price to our dogs and actually to ourselves when it comes to adding ingredients that aren’t all natural and have (or could have, in the case of our four footed friends) adverse to deadly consequences.
Be aware of the ingredients and what they actually mean to your pet before feeding it to them... it could be a matter of life and death.
Penny Blankenship is a freelance writer and cartoonist whose work can be seen on http://meeshkaworld.blogspot.com and as the Official Cartoonist for North Wapiti Kennels at: http://www.northwapiti.com